Your Favorite Things To Force On Your Friends
I couldn’t tell you my Top Five records, or even my Top Fifty. My brain doesn’t work that way. Some records get me more excited than others, some do nothing for me at all, and there’s a handful I’ve been utterly obsessed with at one time or another, and maybe there’s a few I’ll always be obsessed with—like Fun House by The Stooges.
Like most geeks, I try to get my friends excited about the same things that make me excited. I burn CD’s for people, or I drag people to shows, I give records as gifts, that sort of thing. I’m not nearly as bad as I used to be—it’s not like I hand my girlfriend a record and tell her, “If you don’t like this then we have nothing in common”—but I do feel compelled to share my enthusiasms. Maybe that says more about our tastes than any Top Whatever list: What do we like to share?
So here’s my question for anyone reading this:
What’s your favorite song/artist/record to recommend to people?
- revolverocelot said: Ariel Pink is a recent favorite. Pretty sure I recommended his new album a number of posts ago when you were asking for them.
- cantrelate said: the adolescents s/t.
- skatalite said: I like to encourage my friends to listen to Big Boys if I think they’d enjoy their music. Their music is so fun I’ve never recommended it to anyone who didn’t end up liking their music.
- skatalite likes this
- listeningsessions said: depends on the link i think will work for them. just as instrumental guitar rock led to prog rock led to jazz fusion led to jazz led to world musics and classical… i hear a track and know they dig something, I’ll link them to something else.
- just-gene said: I like to turn people on to Pinetop Perkins, Jay Farrar in all the evolutions is that what I mean, and Justin Townes Earle is someone I think is the real deal, when someone sings from the heart or soul you can hear it. Know what I mean. Just a few,
- pissingonmyfeet said: Whatever I’m liking at the moment.
- rover-hendrix said: I’ve tried to get a lot of people into Tom Waits. It’s never gone well.
- sunsettter likes this
- docshoe posted this